November 12, 2013

The Thankful Project Day 12: An Opportunity

I'm linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy for The Thankful Project. It's Day 12 and today's prompt is "an opportunity."

A few posts back, I told you guys about the job I was thankful for here. Today, I am going to tell you about opportunities I . I am thankful that I had the opportunity to serve my country and travel the world while in the Navy. Not everyone gets the chance to be accepted in the military so I find myself fortunate that I got the opportunity to do so.

When I was on my third year in high school, my senior friends graduated and joined the Navy, all I could think about was "that's not gonna be me." I never thought that I would be in the military. I've always seen myself as someone who would go to college right away and get a degree. Honestly, I felt like joining the military was a last-resort-kind-of-thing. You only join the military if you're not good enough to go to college, or if you have money issues.

But that's not how I feel now. I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to serve  not only my country but the world too. It's such an amazing feeling to know that I contributed to numerous Naval Operation like for example:
  • I assisted in Operation Unified Response, which was the relief effort to the earthquake that hit Haiti in 2010
  • I am also proud to say that I was on the very aircraft carrier where the body of Osama bin Laden was disposed of in May 2011.
I am so grateful of all the opportunities the Navy presented me. Aside from serving the world, I also got the chance to travel numerous countries--Brazil, Peru, Malaysia, South Korea, India, Philippines, Hong Kong, Dubai, Australia to name a few. It was such an amazing journey, and I will be forever grateful for it.

What opportunity are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's definitely appreciated. I read every comment and try to respond to them so don't forget to leave your contact information so I can reply back.