November 11, 2013

The Thankful Project Day 11: Something You Were Taught

I'm linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy for The Thankful Project. It's Day 11 and today's prompt is "something you were taught."

Before I start my post on today's prompt, I just want to say Happy Veteran's Day to all veterans and active duty military! We went to Chili's for dinner and got some free food. I'm so thankful that restaurants give a free meal for all veterans. It's an amazing feeling to know that people appreciate my service in the military <3 After dinner, we went to a drive-in movie theater and watched Thor 2.

Check out Maylee's outfit! Terry bought it for her. I love it :)
 Now, back to The Thanksgiving Project prompt! I was taught a lot of things, and, really, I am grateful for all of them. But if I was to choose a specific one, I'd say I am grateful that I was taught respect.  My parents and grandparents always talk to me about respecting my elders, but I learned more than that. I learned to respect myself too. I learned that I cannot always count on others to respect my feelings. Respecting other people doesn't guarantee that you will get respect back. I learned that you only have control over yourself and how you choose to be as a person. As for others, you can only choose to accept them or walk away. I am hoping that one day I will get to pass down what I have learned from people. I want to be Maylee's role model. I want her to learn about respect by me giving her respect. Us adults often demand respect from children but we don't show them any respect in return. I want my daughter to learn to treat others the way she wants to be treated, to show kindness and consideration, to like herself enough to be herself, and to accept others for who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's definitely appreciated. I read every comment and try to respond to them so don't forget to leave your contact information so I can reply back.