November 26, 2013

The Thanksgiving Project Day 26: Criticism You've Received

Oh yay! I am finally all caught up with the prompts on The Thankful Project. Took me long enough. I know I didn't do so great. I didn't think I would get behind, but I did. Though, I am glad that I'm not behind anymore, and I guess that's all that matters now. Two more days and it is Thanksgiving Day! woohoo! I cannot believe I've written 25 prompts already, and more importantly, I cannot believe that the challenge is almost over!



I'm linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy for The Thankful Project. It's Day 26 and today's prompt is "Criticism You've Received."

I thought about this prompt long and hard. Honestly, I cannot remember a lot of the criticisms I have received in my life. I think it's mainly because of how I take them. I don't really mind criticism. I try not to let them get to my heart or my head. If it's not true, I just disregard it. If it's true, I take it and learn from it.

I want to admit another thing about this criticism deal. I realized that I am my own biggest critic. Before anyone else has criticized me, I have already criticized myself. I have caused myself much sadness. I felt sad because I used to see myself as a loser, and I put myself down. I used to blame myself a lot for the things that are happening to me.

Well, there was one criticism that I will never forget. Someone told me that I will not succeed in life, that I would marry someone pathetic, and just keep popping babies. This person made me SO furious! I wanted to prove the person wrong so bad. After graduating high school, I made decisions with this criticism in mind. I summoned everything that I've got to make sure that I don't end up that way. I joined the military and moved away from all the people I knew. And look at me now, I am married to the most amazing guy and we have the most adorable baby girl. I have the best family-in-law. My husband and I own a Cadillac, a truck and a motorcycle. And I am going to school to finish my degree. Hah! Take that! I'd say I am pretty successful.

Do what you feel in your heart to be right--for you'll be criticize anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

I learned that people will always have their own opinions about me, but it is always up to me to put it in perspective. I also learned to change the way I see myself. I learned that my perception of myself have a direct impact to reality. If you see yourself as a failure, then you will be a failure. It's amazing how our attitude can affect or change the situation at hand. I am thankful for criticisms from myself and others because they push me to be the best version of me.

What criticism are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's definitely appreciated. I read every comment and try to respond to them so don't forget to leave your contact information so I can reply back.