October 4, 2013

Quality over Quantity

You know, for the longest time not having a lot of close friends used to bother me. I often wondered why I don't get a lot of phone calls, or text messages from my friends. Is something wrong with me? Am I boring? These were questions I used to ask myself. Then, I realized that there's nothing wrong with having a few close friends. There's nothing wrong with me. Having a few friends is better than not having any friends at all. And that having one real close friend is much better than having tons of friends who are fake. I have friends who I contact all the time, but they always seem to be too busy to hangout. There's always an excuse. That, or they don't even respond to you. We can't force people to contact us more, even though we wish they would. That's the matter with fake friends. They are always near you at your brightest moments but nowhere to be seen at your darkest hours. They contact you when they need something, but are never there for you when you need them. Growing up has made me realize that it is less important to have more friends and more important to have real ones.

Everybody isn't your friend. Just because they hang around you and laugh with you doesn't mean they're for you. Just because they say they got your back, doesn't mean they won't stab you in it. So know your circle. At the end of the day, real situations expose fake people, so pay attention.

Oh, boy, that is so true.

I met my friends from school, work, and others I have met through friends. You never know who could end up being your closest friend. So don't be afraid to help people if they need help. Not everyone sticks around. People come and go. Your best friend now might not be your best friend later on. Things change. People change. Some change for the best, while others don't. Before you count your friends, make sure you can count on them. Some friends are only around when they want something from you but are never there when you need something from them.

I consider myself lucky to have the friends that I have. Even though my friends and I don't talk daily we know that we can count on each other. Do you have the kind of friendship where even though you haven't talked to each other in weeks you can catch up in one phone call? It's amazing to have a friendship like that. It's like they're never too far away. Although they may live across the country, the distance doesn't matter.

There are certain people who aren't meant to fit into your life. But no relationship is ever a waste of time. If it doesn't bring you what you want, it teaches you what you DON'T want. We rarely lose friends, we just gradually figure out who our real ones are. Never force someone to make a space in their life for you, because if they know your worth, they will surely create one for you. And remember, when you're up, your 'friends' know who you are, when you're down, you know who your 'real friends' are. It just takes a little time to figure it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's definitely appreciated. I read every comment and try to respond to them so don't forget to leave your contact information so I can reply back.